Cardigan Surgery

I have had a cardigan with a hole in the sleeve for quite a while (it was made by my dog when she first arrived as an eight week old puppy, she is now over a year old!), it is one of those things that have hung around in my fixing pile for a while and which I haven’t quite got around to. This is the hole:

Hole in the sleeve

I decide to fix it by attaching a band of colour around the sleeve, this is the finished item:

I have also attached a band to the other sleeve to make it balanced. I like to wear red which is how I selected red, additionally I thought it rather apt that I used left over fabric from my dog’s collar, lead and harness to repair her handiwork.

To start with a cut a length of fabric, this was twice as wide as I wanted to band to be (3 inches) and an two inches longer than the width of my arm at the point of the hole (9 inches). This picture below shows my fabric (please note that this is currently 18 inches long because I cut the fabric in half, one for each arm)

Next I turned the fabric over, folded it in half and pressed the seam, I felt comfortable to fold and I ironed the seam but you can pin before you iron)

I then unfolded it and folded the bottom edge in towards to middle (pressed seam) and then pressed the new fold.

I then repeated this with the top edge, folding the top edge into the original pressed seam and then pressing again

I then turned the whole fabric over and pressed to erase the original pressed seam, ensuring that the two edges remained underneath.

This provides a nice meat edge to sew directly onto the cardigan. I next ripped to seam on the cardigan, this was located at the same place as the hole in the sleeve and using the seam ripper it was made slightly wider that the width of the fabric strip that I have made.

I then placed the fabric strip over the hole in the cardigan and pinned it into place, I did it on the side with the hole in first to ensure that it covered it properly. I then did the second side and fed the ends of the fabric strip into the ripped seam.

  

I then top stitched along each edge of the fabric strip about 3mm from the edge. This was quite tricky on the sewing machine and it used the manual turn control as opposed to the foot pedal so that I had more control.

Once I had top stitched each edge I then turned the sleeve inside out to repair the ripped seam. I started by doing the straight stitch. I used red thread to make it clear, I ensured that the stitching started a finished beyond the fabric strip edge.

I then trimmed the fabric strip ends to make it level with the seam of the cardigan

I then zigzagged stitched over the seam to finished it off.

I then turned the cardigan back to the right side out and pressed. It was then all finished, I repeated the steps on the other arm to make them match.

 

The whole project took less that an hour and I now have a cardigan I can wear again.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s