As part of my Make and Do 2013 aims I am aiming to get towards having 75% of my wardrobe made by me. The Wardrobe maths done at the start of the year indicated that this was going to be a massive project and I really needed to come up with some plans about how best to approach. After a bit of a ponder I thought and some inspiration from the blogging world I decided that some of the clothes I currently have could do with a bit of a refashion, especially ones that I do not wear for one reason or another.
My first refashion started life as a pair of trousers:
The main issue with these trousers is that they hang at completely the wrong length, swinging around my ankles…never a good look. However I have always loved the waist detail of these trousers:
Never being much of a trouser girl, it was natural that I choose to turn this pair of trousers into a skirt. The first thing I did was open up the insider leg seam on both legs with a seam ripper. Then I cut off the curve of the fabric that makes the crotch and sew seams down the center front and back to form a skirt. Finally I cut off some length and added a bit of colour, this was some left over fabric from the Sorbetto top. Here it is all finished up and shown with the Sorbetto:
Overall I pretty happy with how the refashion has turned out. My only slight concern is that I may have been to hasty adding the fabric onto the bottom. I am aiming to cut the amount of clothing in my wardrobe down which means things need to be able to be worn with each other, the adding of the fabric band may have prevented a black skirt from being as versatile as a black skirt should be.
I started the arm of the paperdolls jumper during the group knitting a couple of weeks ago. I did a couple more rounds of the alternate rib and then noticed that I had somehow managed to knit it inside out, pretty important when doing alternate ribbing….so I had to frog the cuff and start again!
I have now redo the alternate ribbed cuff and done a little bit of the grey sleeve (this is an alteration to the pattern but I feel that considering that I am making a thick jumper I want longer sleeves than the pattern gives.
One of my aims for the year was to get more involved in the blogging world, I have already joined a sew along and arranged to join a meet up in London. Today I have signed up to the international craft swap. This is such an amazing idea by House of Pinheiro and I can’t wait to get started on my nautical make for my partner. I have been perusing the internet and pinterest for inspiration…roll on the 8th March so I know who I’ve been paired with.
I thought it only appropriate with it being Valentine’s Day that I blog about my new love….Madeleine.
I first saw the Madeleine pattern a while ago on Scruffy Badger time and knew it was a pattern I just had to have. I was remarkably restrained and added it to a Christmas wish list, very kindly my parents came through and on Christmas morning I was to uncover it under the Christmas tree.
I had my heart set on making it in emerald green corduroy which I purchased in NYC, but alas although I had taken the length of the fabric needed I didn’t take note of the width and Madeleine in most definitely for 60″ wide fabric. Once I spotted my mistake I decided to make it up in the lilac cord I brought in Paris (this was for the Colette Ginger Skirt, but this will now be emerald green instead). In the end, I am so pleased I did because it goes perfectly with the Jasmine Top I finished the other day:
I honestly love this skirt sew much. The fabric is lovely and soft, the buttons go beautifully:
It has massive pockets with scrumptious detailing, the fastening is lovely (my first ever overlapped waistband and hidden zip):
And the best thing about this skirt is the suspenders, it is what first drew me to the pattern and I am over the moon with how they came together on the skirt:
I have a feeling Madeleine and I will be spending a lot of time together. The future also promises more Madeleines, I can’t wait to use the pattern again. On a side note, using the Madeleine pattern was part of my Made and Do 2013 aims so I can proudly tick it off my list.
I have been following Lucky Lucille for a little while now and admiring her beautiful clothes. Recently she announced a 1940’s themed sew along and after a bit of umming and ahhing I have decided to join in. I was little unsure because I am unconvinced that 1940’s clothes will suit me.
I located this vintage vogue pattern from 1943 and fell in love:
So thought why not, lets give it a go. I have even joined the flickr group which is a whole new experience for me. I have added the button to my sidebar so if you fancy joining in (or not) check out Lucky Lucille’s blog.