Last night I had a couple of friends around who wanted to learn to sew. We made up some lavender scented wardrobe fresheners because they were small enough to make up in an evening. Here is one all finished up which I used as the example:
Here is how we made them. Materials needed:
Small scrap of fabric, ribbon, buttons, heart stencil (I just drew out the shape I wanted), soft toy stuffing and lavender scented pot pourri.
2. Lay one heart right side up.
3. Fold the ribbon in half, right side of the ribbon facing out and lay it on top of the heart with the folded part pointing towards the bottom of the heart, ensure the cut ends of the ribbon over lap the top of the heart and then pin in place:
4. Lay the second heart on top with the right side facing down (right sides together) and pin in place:
6. Cut off the exposed ribbon so that it follows the outline shape of the heart:
and cutting a regular intervals around the curve of the heart:
8. Turn the heart the right way out, and press (the iron is your friend):
9. Stuff with the stuffing and potpourri, I made sure that i put in a bit of stuffing, a bit of potpourri, a bit more stuffing, some more potpourri etc. This ensured that the potpourri was evenly distributed around:
10. By hand, slip stitch the opening closed (this is where the previous step of pressing really pays off):
11. Hand sew on the button for decoration:
12. All done, admire your handiwork: