Tag Archive | DIY

Hall Decoration and Upcycled Shoe Cabinet

Si is now away for a few days with work, like last year I have decided to take the opportunity to do some decoration. Last year I did the bedroom, bathroom and office, so today I did the hall. Here is the before shot:

20130711-212340.jpg

The first thing I decided to do was have a look at the shoe cabinet, Si broke this a few weeks back but I was reluctant to throw it out because I didn’t like this idea of it just going to the dump. The broken bit is the front section.

20130711-213403.jpg

The first thing I did was remove the front and the fittings fully, this was with the idea of having the bottom section as open storage. I then primed the wood ready for painting it:

20130711-213542.jpg

I used just some regular primer and then some paint that was specially for painting furniture:

20130711-213628.jpg

Once the primer was dry I painted the cabinet:

20130711-213653.jpg

Before finally adding on new handles:

20130711-213717.jpg

Here is the Upcycled shoe cabinet:

20130711-213741.jpg

I then painted the hall. We have had this yellow paint for ages, we choose yellow because the hall has no windows. I also hung a poster, Si admired this poster for ages in our local Cafe Rouge so I brought him a mini version. Here is the finished hall with the shoe cabinet back in:

20130711-213929.jpg

I am so pleased with the results and especially that it has taken only about six hours to do the lot. The shoe cabinet looks like a completely different bit of furniture and has been saved from the dump, hopefully Si will like it when he gets home next week.

Decorating the Office

S and I moved to our flat just over two years ago and when we moved in we made the decision that we would use the small room as our bedroom and the large room as the office (S and I both work from home on alternate days so having dedicated work space was really important). It made sense because we felt that the small room was more than big enough and putting our bed into the bigger room we felt would be a waste of space. However two years on we both feel we still have not maximized the space within the office, especially considering that it is the same size as our previous living room and kitchen combined.

We both felt that the office has essentially become a room with a desk and a lot of clutter so as part of the flat redecoration we had a real thought about what to do it the space.

This is how the office looked on Saturday morning:

We decided that we would use the shelves as a room divider to separate the desk from the rest of the room. These were the shelves on Saturday morning:

This was the view from the door:

Firstly we took Little One to the pet sitter, and then started to empty the room. It was unbelievable how much stuff we had in this one room so emptying it out took over the whole flat and I was pleased Little One was out. We then proceeded to paint the walls:

We then sorted through all of our things, trying to be pretty brutal about what things to keep and what things to donate or throw out and then moved everything back into the office using the shelves as a room divider:

This meant that S now has an office area:

I then covered the old office chair and the futon in green polka dot material for a little seating area:

Bedroom Decoration

S is currently away and has been since the start of August, he will return the day before my sister’s wedding so I think I am probably almost as excited about the wedding as her.

Whilst he has been away I decided that I would take the opportunity to do a bit of decoration. I decided to do it whilst he was away because he works from home it would disrupt his working massively if it was done whilst he was here because the only place the bedroom furniture can be removed to is the office.

The bedroom was the standard magnolia that comes with all new build flats, we had previously had a handy man fit the picture rail. I started off by single handedly removing all of the furniture from the bedroom….this was probably the hardest part of the whole job.

I then painted the walls, doing three walls grey and the wall which the bed goes on lilac:

As you can see Little One got involved in the whole operation, she was generally fine but at some point she ended up with a grey tipped ear.

I then took the head board off the bed and covered it in the material that I was going to make the curtains in, this was done very simply with a staple gun:

I then made the curtains and moved everything back into the room:

The curtains are lined with blackout material as S finds the morning sun wakes him up very early in the summer.

The picture above the bed is something that I made using photoshop for S as part of his Christmas present, it documents Little One’s first year:

I am generally very pleased with the bedroom, the only things left to do are:

1) The curtain tape did not come with enough front facing rings so I have asked for more and when these arrive I can finish off the curtain and then screw the balls onto the end of the curtain rail.

2) I would like to cover a lampshade in the same fabric as the curtain and headboard to hang

3) Change the bed sheets to grey.