It is no secret that I love the Skater dress pattern by Kitschy-coo, I have already made three versions (the grey one, tiger one and flamingo one) I have now made another version but this time I mixed things up a bit by adding a cowl to the neckline.
This was made in a fairly heavy fabric which I felt would be perfect for a winter dress. I have had the fabric in my stash for about a year and I had about three meters so perfect for giving the cowl a go. To make the cowl I borrowed the cowl from the Renfrew Sewaholic top. I basically added the shape of the neckline from the Renfrew onto the skater dress and then used the cowl as it was from the Renfrew:
As with my grey version I added three inches to the bottom of the skirt so that it is the perfect length to wear with boots (although it is worn here with my yellow shoes). The bodice as with all the others has one inch taken from the length.
I have already worn the dress to work, it is very comfy and warm. The pattern of the skater dress is so easy to wear…I love it!
Considering that I have already made two skaters, my tiger one and my flamingo one it may come as no surprise that I love this pattern.
Here is my third version, a nice simple grey one:
This time I made the long sleeve version because it is made in a much heavier fabric and I wanted something suitable for winter. I have done the same alteration in the bodice as my previous two, taking one inch off the length of the body.
I also decided I wanted the skirt to be a bit longer so I could wear it with my knee high boots so I added three inches onto the lenght.
It now goes pretty perfectly with my boots. I did have two mishaps with this make however, firstly because I extended the skirt I found out, after cutting out the skirt that I did not have enough material left for the front of the bodice which is meant to be cut on the fold. I there cut out two halves with a bit extra and have ended up with a seam down the middle of the front. I am not too worried about this mishap, it adds quite a nice bit of detailing to the front of a simple dress.
My second mishap happened when I attached the neckband onto the dress, I don’t know how I managed it but it was massively wonky. The only thing I could do was take it off but because I had overlocker it the seam had been cut, I therefore had to cut out another neckband piece and the neckline is lower on this dress than my previous two:
Again as mishaps go this wasn’t too bad, the neckline isn’t obscene so it is still perfectly wearable. I have already worn this dress twice, once to the knitting and stitching show and then again to Newmarket Races, it is surprisingly warm so a great make for the cooler months. I have also teamed the dress up with another make that I am very excited about, more on that tomorrow.
On Tuesday Si and I went to a friends’ wedding, as is the case when you are invited to a wedding I felt that it would be good to have a new dress to wear and so I embarked on the making of a second skater dress (the flamingo skater was my first). I brought some tiger patterned fabric from Kitschy Coo (there is an amazing selection of knit fabric is her shop, I have fallen in love with the new scooter fabric).
I made the dress up on Saturday and it gave me an excuse to use my new to me overlocker. The longest part of this dress was the cutting out because I really wanted to ensure that my tigers ran straight over the waist of the dress. I didn’t get it absolutely perfect but I’m actually pretty chuffed with the finished result.
I think the cutting out probably took me a couple of hours and then the sewing only took about an hour, so all in all a very quick make. There is not much to add to what I said about the pattern before, I once again took an inch from the length of the bodice and still feel that the instructions are perfectly written and very easy to follow. It is no understatement to say I love this pattern, I’m already planning my third make with a lovely grey fabric I have in my stash.
The day of the wedding was very sunny, giving a perfect chance for the dress to be photographed outside:
Here is one to see the close up of those tigers:
Making the dress up on my overlocker really cut down on the sewing time and the hemming was a breeze (unlike my first skater where the knit fabric was a bit tricky to handle)
We both had a great day (and the bride was in a beautiful handmade dress too). Here Si and I are enjoying the sun:
Since buying the flamingo jersey at the sewing meet-up I have been desperate to make it into a skater dress by kitschy coo. The fabric is just lovely it is ridiculously soft and the pattern has just enough interest without being too crazy to wear for work.
I couldn’t be happier with the finished result. This is my first ever project with knit fabric and despite some initial handling issues (it is ridiculously easy to unintentionally stretch is as you sew) I was amazed at how straightforward it is and unbelievably quick! The pattern comes with step by step instructions with photos or a short list for more experienced sewists, I’m not embarrassed to admit I needed the full on step by step photos and they helped me tons!
The only alteration I made was shortening the bodice by one inch, the dress sits on your natural waist and is very flattering. I am particularly pleased with the fact my flamingos run in a straight line up and down over the bodice and skirt section:
And I’m also very happy with how my neck turned out (though I unpicked it once because when I flipped it the first time I had my poor flamingos standing on their heads):
I choose the three quarter sleeve version and this means I have enough fabric left over to make a top, probably a Renfrew. Now I have finally got around to using knit fabric I can’t believe I waited so long!